Hamdard University, Islamabad Campus maintains a central library shared by all the three institutes besides a separate Library for faculty and students of HIET functioning in HIET building.
Hamdard University maintains a multi-disciplinary library catering the needs of faculty, students, researchers and staff of the University. Digital collection is ideally suited to encourage and support both scholarly and practical research activities.
HEC Digital Library
Request Books/Ask Librarian
Vision & Mission
Our vision is “Promoting and facilitating the culture of critical inquiry, research, scholarship, collaboration and self-directed lifelong learning”.
- Providing a stimulating, adaptable environment that facilitates the innovative and creative work of students, faculty members and research community;
- Enabling both formal and informal collaborations by connecting people who share research interests;
- Facilitating scholarly, research and academic activities for enhancing intellectual capacities of an individual and HUIC learning community;
- Anticipating and providing prompt information services, access and delivery;
- Keeping abreast with new developments and innovations in information provision;
- Ensuring the provision of quality service, consultation, and comprehensive reference services to students, faculty and other clients.
Printed Resources (Books)
The library has processed more than 10000 printed volumes. The collection covers all the major subjects i.e Pharmacy, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Management Sciences, Earth Science, Social Sciences, General books, Fictions, Pakistan Study and Reference books. In the reference section, HUIC Library has collier’s Encyclopedia World Book, British Pharmacopoeia, UPS, Grolier Business Library, famous Dictionaries and reference materials.
Materials on CDs
HUIC Library got a wide range of CDs collection in which digital books, software and other study aid material are available. Students/faculty can get their soft copy accordingly. Students can also use this material within the library premises.
Magazine & Periodicals
HUIC library is subscribing 30 research journals of the Institute of Electrical Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and 10 other research journals/Magazines in subjects of Pharmacy and Management Sciences. Previous issues of research journals are also available in the library.
The library has subscribed a wide range of English and Urdu leading National and International newspapers. The library also maintains two-month previous record of the newspapers for reference and research purpose.
The HUIC Library provides access to the following online resources:
- More than 50,000 books (full text Locally + HEC) all subjects.
- 20 online international databases. (Full text).
- 10 million articles. (Online access).
- 23,000 journals/magazines (full text with bibliographical information).
The new arrival has been placed in front of the library circulation counter near the entrance door. The flippers/dust covers of new books are also placed on the notice board of the library.
Note: Textbooks will issue for 14 working days only and will be reissued next day.
Note: visiting faculty members will draw book from library with the approval of concerned HOD (one book/per subject for 15 days).
- No personal bag or book is allowed in the library. A special rack is available outside the library to keep such thing. However, students can take their books and bags in the reading room adjacent to the library.
- The library staff will not be responsible for the precious things kept in the handbags, brief cases etc.
- Readers are allowed to select books from the slack. However they are requested not to disturb arrangement of books in shelves.
- Books once removed from the shelves must be placed at the nearest table or counter.
- The library shall not receive any telephone call or mail message on behalf of any reader, nor are students allowed to use library telephone.
- Eating, Sleeping, Drinking, Laughing, Clapping, Smoking and playing games etc. are not allowed in the library.
- Walk man (cassette player) and other musical instrument are not allowed in the library
- PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE PHONES BEFORE ENTERING THE LIBRARY.
- Silence must be observed in the library.
- Books, Periodicals and Newspapers are not to be marked with ink or pencil.
- Tearing out of pages or damaging the reading material in any way is strictly prohibited.
- Students are not allowed to visit the library without University Identity Cards.
- Any misbehavior, discourtesy or unwillingness to provide services by the library staff shall be reported to librarian.
- A Student member, who infringes rules, shall be liable to disciplinary action
- Rupees Five (Rs. 5/-) per volume will be charged as overdue fine if book is not returned within prescribed period.
- Borrowers are responsible for the safe return of all the borrowed material to the library at the proper time.
- If the book is lost, damaged or destroyed a replacement of the book or a fine, which may be up to four times of the actual cost of the book, will be charged.
- In case the lost or damaged book is a part of a multi-volume set, the borrower will have to replace the full set or pay the cost of the full set and a fine if determined by the library committee.
- Borrowers are advised to check the books at the time of issue and in case of any defect/damage inform to the library staff.
Borrow, Renew and Reserve
All registered users of HUIC are entitled to borrow books. Lending privileges differ for various categories. Please inquire at the Circulation desk.
Trained and highly qualified staff are available to give reference services from all online research databases. User may make queries by telephone, or by the following e-mail :
In case an item is not located on the shelf, an inquiry can be made at the Circulation Desk. A search will then be initiated and the user will be notified when the item is located. The located item will be held at the Circulation Desk for two days for the user to pick up.
The library has subscribed a wide range of English and Urdu leading National and International newspapers. The library also maintains two month previous record of the newspapers for reference and research purpose.
Suggest a Book
HUIC Library welcomes suggestions from faculty and students, for the acquisition of materials that support teaching, study, and research at the Institute. Know of a book the HUIC Library should own? Fill out our “recommendation for acquisition” form and we will generally purchase the book. We put a rush order on it, and notify you when it has arrived so you can be the first to use it!
Note: Before you make a request for purchase, please check our catalog, to be sure that the item is not already available in the HUIC Library collection.
The library staff gives a wide range of presentations to library users, to enable users to use the library to its maxim potential. These presentations educate users on the use of different online databases for literature searching. Presentations for small groups can be arranged on request.
Photocopy facility is available for readers to make copies from Reference books, because these books are not being issued.